[LAU] Question on multichannel audio on Inspiron 1525 [Ubuntu 8.10]

From: Peter O'Doherty <k.p.odoherty@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 26 2008 - 12:31:12 EET

Hi,
I know this is quite a longshot as it is so specific to Ubuntu 8.10 on a
Dell Inspiron 1525 and the (few?) people using it..! Anyway, here goes...

I would like to use the two headphone jacks + the mic jack as outputs to
create a 6 channel output (3 x stereo).

So in qjackctl or patchage I guess I will need to patch it like this:
audio out_1 & out_2 to system playback_1 & playback_2 (going to 1st
headphone jack);
audio out_3 & out_4 to system playback_3 & playback_4 (going to 2nd
headphone jack);
audio out_5 & out_6 to system playback_5 & playback_6 (going to mic jack).

My problem is that I am already a few too many steps ahead of myself! To
start off with I can't even get the 2nd headphone jack working, let
alone set the mic up to send a signal.

I've looked at the help "Second Headphone Jack Does Not Work" but it
concerns 7.10 and is not relevant to me:

http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php..._Does_Not_Work
<http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_7.10/Issues/Second_Headphone_Jack_Does_Not_Work>

Can anyone help me at least get started with setting the 2nd headphone
jack up and getting independent audio to it? At least then I'll have 4
outs to start with...

Thanks a lot,
Peter