Re: [LAU] Asus EEE 1000 as new softsynth?

From: James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 26 2008 - 14:20:03 EET

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:46:02AM +0000, James McDermott wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 9:15 AM, James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > If the eeePC that you have is anything like the 701 I have, you might
> > find you need a small usb sound device to get over problems with xruns
> > from the rather dodgy intel soundchip on the same interrupt as the
> > graphics device....
>
> Can you tell us how Aldrin goes on your eee? Apart from the interrupts
> that is. Is the GUI usable? Can you get many plugins running?

I actually made an alteration to the code, which I am slightly
embarassed about (not sure if it is still in the codebase) to get
it to play nicely with the eeePC. Basically, in its default
state, the fact the graphics and sound share the same interrupt,
the two interfere quite badly. I added an option in the
preferences to disable drawing of LEDs on the machines during
playback, and when that is enabled I can play back Leonard's demo
song without any glitches. It works well for small pieces and
sample-based stuff, but not so great for a mazzive network of
machines! OK for little ideas though - I have one with 6
generators and 1 reverb which plays fine.

Schism tracker is really nice on the eeepc though 'cos you can
drive the whole thing with keypresses, and it's really light!

James