Re: [LAU] korg + timidity + rosegarden via jack

From: robert lazarski <robertlazarski@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 29 2008 - 18:31:08 EET

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
<pedro.lopez.cabanillas@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Viernes, Noviembre 28, 2008, robert lazarski wrote:
>> timidity -iA -B2,8 -Oj -EFreverb=0 -iat
>>
>> Then its not started in in "ALSA server mode" . Is there no way to launch
>> timidity to be both in "ALSA server mode" and with a UI?
>>
> Ah, I've just understood now what you want. You said "piano roll" (1), but you
> meant "pianola" or "piano player" (2). Right?
>
> (1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_roll
> (2) http://www.pianola.org/history/history_pianoplayers.cfm

Yeah, that's what I meant. RG's great for me but it doesn't have a 16
channel "pianola" like timidity does,

> I think that you can't tell Timidity to use GUI and ALSA interfaces at the
> same time, Sorry. Maybe you want to try a different program?
>
> VMPK can highlight the keys on a piano keyboard, according to the played MIDI
> notes from another program like Rosegarden. But only one channel each time.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmpk/

I tried for about an hour to get the output of RG into vmpk, but I had
no luck. I tried about every connection possible in qjackctl. I can
connect RG to timidity and get sound easily - though the sound it
horribly distorted - so something isn't right with vmpk or how I'm
using it. Has anyone conected RG to vmpk? What output/inputs worked?

> Another program that you may want to try is kmid. It is a MIDI/karaoke player:
> http://developer.kde.org/~larrosa/kmid.html

The kmid UI actually has a better "pianola" for me than tiimidity,
thanks. Unfortunately I don't think it accepts an input like from RG,
otherwise it'd be perfect . At least I looked hard and couldn't find
any inputs. I was able to connect kmid to my Korg though, so its at
least an alternative to RG for me if it indeed doesn't have any
inputs.

Thanks for the ideas,
Robert