Re: [LAU] Open Source MIDI control surface

From: simone-www.io-lab.org <cimo75@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 01 2008 - 15:24:59 EET

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 4:31 AM, Tim Blechmann <tim@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>> Is anyone interested in an Open Source MIDI control surface?
>>
>> interesting thread as i am working on a control-surface myself atm ... i
>> would be curious, if someone has some experience with higher-precision
>> adc? most io boards i know (arduino/makingthings) provide 10-bit adcs,
>> while i'd be interested in getting a higher resolution ... does anyone
>> have experience with interfacing a microcontroller (e.g. arduino) with an
>> external high-resolution adc?
>>
>> thnx, tim
>>
>> --
>> tim@email-addr-hidden
>> http://tim.klingt.org
>>

> Just for my own understanding isn't MIDI fundamentally an 8-bit
> system? (256 max notes across a keyboard, 256 max levels, etc., ...)
> If so why would anything above 8-bits make any difference? Or can you
> specifically send controller information over multiple MIDI bytes?
MIDI rpn/nrpn messages combine 2 midi cc parameters to get double
resolution, 14 bit.
The answer to your question is that many of us are not using MIDI at
all to receive data from sensors or whatsoever, programs like Pure
Data can receive any kind of numbers over different protocols (HID,
OSC etc etc) so no need to get int o the MIDI bottleneck resolution.
Simone

> Thanks,
> Mark

.wmv , .wma , .pps along with all proprietary Windows formats won t be
accepted and/or viewed....