Re: [LAU] Open Source MIDI control surface

From: Matthew Smith <matt@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 01 2008 - 23:41:08 EET

Hi Tim

> interesting thread as i am working on a control-surface myself atm ... i
> would be curious, if someone has some experience with higher-precision
> adc? most io boards i know (arduino/makingthings) provide 10-bit adcs,
> while i'd be interested in getting a higher resolution ... does anyone
> have experience with interfacing a microcontroller (e.g. arduino) with an
> external high-resolution adc?

For regular 7-bit stuff, I'll be using a 16-input, 8-bit ADC. However,
in order to get higher resolutions for the 2 x 7-bit messages, I am
dropping analogue input in favour of rotary encoders.

The encoders that I will be using (currently on their way from China)
output a 2-bit Gray code, meaning that I can read 4 of them
simultaneously using a single port. (I'll actually be using 8 in a 4 x
2 matrix, scanning them just like a keypad.) $16 USD for 10 - quite a
lot cheaper than pots!

If your input has to be analogue, ADCs are available with many different
interfaces - synchronous serial (like the TI ones I'll be using), SPI,
I2C and byte-wide, which can be accessed like external memory.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/
Personal: http://www.smiffysplace.com/