Re: [LAU] Audio Hardware Recommendations

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 06 2008 - 17:12:29 EET

Hallo,
Christopher Stamper hat gesagt: // Christopher Stamper wrote:

> I'm thinking about finally upgrading from my cheap soundblaster+mic to
> something of a little higher quality. I'm thinking along the lines of an
> external firewire/usb box and some kind of low-cost mic.
>
> I'd use it primarely for vocals, but I'd like the recording interface to
> support 2-channel, for possible some piano recordings/etc. I also don't want
> to spend very much, and would plan to get it used, on ebay.

For comparable quality, PCI cards generally are much cheaper than
USB or let alone Firewire cards (the latter are quite expensive). I'd go
with some Terratec or M-Audio card based on an ICE chipset. The
M-Audio Audiophile PCI is quite popular, I use one myself for a long
time now. It's only stereo, howver. The Delta cards provide more
channels. Check the ALSA soundcard matrix for other cards with the
ice1712 driver.

Ciao

--
Frank