Re: [LAU] Audio Hardware Recommendations

From: Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 06 2008 - 20:17:27 EET

> I kinda wanted to be able to use it in my laptop as well as my desktop.
> That kinda limits me to firewire/usb.

Depending upon what you consider to be "cheap," Edirol FA-101 is (firewire)
is ironically cheaper (approx. ~$300) than UA-101 (usb, ~$450), although
from what I read the UA has a much more elaborate routing capabilities. That
being said, we have over dozen FA-101s in DISIS and they work perfectly with
Linux (ffado), offer 10 i/o, 2 very good preamps, and MIDI. If you have a
MBP you can run them without external power (they run off of the FW cable).

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
Composition, Music Technology
Director, DISIS Interactive Sound & Intermedia Studio
Assistant Co-Director, CCTAD
CHCI, CS, and Art (by courtesy)
Virginia Tech
Dept. of Music - 0240