Re: [LAU] The Drummer's "Gigsaw"

From: Dominic Sacré <dominic.sacre@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 10 2008 - 05:10:36 EET

On Tuesday 09 December 2008 15:09:17 Philippe Hezaine wrote:
> Except from the fact that drums samples are always short ( no need of
> sustain, only a triggering), is there some reasons why the drums are
> always writing with very short durations?

I don't think there's a technical reason why drum notes couldn't be longer.
There's just no need for it, because the note-off is ignored anyway.
Also, two MIDI notes on the same "key" can't overlap, and making all notes
very short is an easy way for a sequencer to avoid that.

> And more especially from the CC7, do they interact with the duration of
> the notes?

The volume controller doesn't interact with individual notes at all. It just
changes the volume immediately, affecting all notes on the respective
channel, even those which are already playing at that time.

Dominic