Re: [LAU] Cowboy composing

From: Cedric Roux <sed@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 10 2008 - 23:46:32 EET

Quoting "Leslie P. Polzer" <sky@email-addr-hidden-project.de>:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm looking for hints that will help me get started in composing
> a piece all of my own.
>
> I'm just a hobby musician with modest guitar and keyboard
> skills and just enough drum knowledge to get something
> acceptable in Hydrogen.
>
> How do you start? Percussion, Bass, Lead? How do you continue?
> How do you actually get something together? :)
>
> I find I can do nice separate pieces but have trouble to come
> up with something coherent...
>
> Thanks for any hints!
>
> Leslie
>
> --
> LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/polzer
> Xing Profile: https://www.xing.com/profile/LeslieP_Polzer
> Blog: http://blog.viridian-project.de/

My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

I first think about the lyrics.
While writing them I also think about the rhythm.
Then I write the rhythm (using my tool vdm, with which
you write rhythms as if they were pieces of C code).
Then I launch songs (another tool of mine, a mini ardour)
and think about some music, playing the guitar with the
rhythm in my ears (or a simplified version of the rhythm).
When I'm satisfied with a line/riff, I record it. Generally
twice, one for the left channel and one for the right.
Then I add some other guitar parts, like kind of "solos."
Then I record the voice, with the guitar+drums in background.
(So I need a full-duplex soundcard.)

But I guess I am not very representative of folks on the list.
I mean, if I want some effects or something I first have to write
some software for it, so...

And I mostly do metal stuff.

Some variations are possible. For example, for the next piece,
I already know I will put some 7/8, 9/8, 10/8 and 12/8 rhythms,
because turkish music and flamenco have funny rhythms I want to
have fun with. But I first need to let my tools work under
windows, since I lost my computer. I will do it all with
someone else's computer, which does not run linux, and I
can do nothing about that.

Anyway, that's it.

Take care,
Cedric.

Oh yeah, my software are at: http://sed.free.fr but they
are very minimalistic, so you surely don't need them. You
may want to take a look at vdm, it's a funny drum machine
(well, funny for me...).