Re: [LAU] Fedora Core 9, Planet CCRMA, and PulseAudio

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 12 2008 - 18:31:52 EET

On Friday 12 December 2008 14:54, The Other wrote:
> Joe Hartley wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 07:57:42 -0600
> >
> > The Other <theother1510@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >> Still waiting on the CCRMA repositories for Fedora 9. (Any
> >> idea when that will come along? Fedora is now up to version 10.)
> >
> > There have been Planet CCRMA repositories available for quite a while
> > now. I believe the webpage is lagging behind in documenting this,
> > though.
> >
> > I'm planning on installing 9 soon, but from everything I've read,
> > the 2.26 RT kernels are not stable, and Pulseaudio is a royal pain.
> > I plan to simply uninstall its RPMs.
>
> Thanks for the reply Joe. Following your suggestion I looked at the
> Planet CCRMA instructions for installing on top of Fedora Core 8, was
> able to locate where the Fedora Core 9 and Fedora Core 10 CCRMA
> repositories were located, and enabled the CCRMA repository for Fedora
> Core 9.
>
> The RealTime kernel I got was:
>
> Linux serenity.valley 2.6.24.7-1.rt3.2.fc9.ccrmart #1 SMP PREEMPT RT
> Tue May 13 04:33:19 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>

> I'm running it right now after a reboot. As soon as I did RealPlayer
> 11 is back to using the motherboard speaker, arrg! Oh well.
>
> Any reason you plan to install Fedora Core 9 instead of Fedora Core
> 10? Let me know how your installation goes and how you succeed in
> disabling PulseAudio. At this point, I'm ready to leave Planet CCRMA
> for any Linux distribution that doesn't use PulseAudio.
>
> Regards,
> Stephen.

Hi Stephen.

Disabling Pulseaudio is very easy on Fedora Installs, by simply removing the
package, alsa-plugins-pulseaudio. By doing that, your sound apps will now use
Alsa directly.

If you have KDE installed, removing the above package, will also remove,
kde-settings-pulseaudio. If you use audio apps that use SDL, add the
following line to /home/user/.bashrc , which will remove the hack that SDL
programs need to use Pulseaudio.

unset SDL_AUDIODRIVER

I'd warn against doing a Gung-Ho removal of all Pulseaudio rpm's, as one of
them removes a whole bunch of packages as dependencies. Someone on the Fedora
list did just that, and messed up the sound completely. Can't remember it was
with Fedora8, or 9.

All the best.

Nigel.