Re: [LAU] Using linux-rt with Ati Mobility X700

From: Matthias Schönborn <mbs1303@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 14 2008 - 00:40:58 EET

Am Samstag, den 13.12.2008, 20:57 +0100 schrieb Matthias Schönborn:
> Am Samstag, den 13.12.2008, 12:22 -0600 schrieb Peter Finnegan:
> > On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 17:59 +0100, Matthias Schönborn wrote:
> > > I hadn't got the time to do some music on my ubuntu machine the last few
> > > months, but yesterday I wanted to boot the rt-kernel on my machine. To
> > > my surprise, I only got a resolution of 800x600. I used to have the
> > > proprietary driver from ati.com installed; Though this one doesn't work
> > > on the Linux-rt kernel (no 3D acceleration), I used to get the desired
> > > resolution of 1400x1050. To regain this resolution, I tried several
> > > xorf.conf files, using "ati", "fglrx" and "vesa" as driver, but none
> > > worked. (In the process of doing so, I somehow even managed to screw up
> > > my Internet configuration on the main kernel (d'oh), so I'm actually
> > > writing this on 800x600... ) So my question is: Is there actually
> > > someone on this list, who is able to boot Linux-rt on his ubuntu
> > > machine, using an ati x700 mobility? I'd really appreciate any
> > > suggestions, more so working xorg.conf files and verified driver
> > > numbers.
> > >
> > > Greetings from Euskirchen
> > > Matthias
> >
> > I have found that fglrx + RT = great frustration. I Have a mobility
> > x1400 on my thinkpad. However I have gotten it to work.
> >
> > 1. Have you tried using the packaging from the envy project? I tried
> > ubuntu for a little while when Hardy came out and at that time the envy
> > packages had gotten the driver to work with the ubuntu rt kernel.
> > http://www.albertomilone.com/envyngfaq.html#A Apparently, it is in the
> > Universe repo now.
> >
> > 2. I am currently using opensuse 11 with jenglh's kernel and I have
> > been building the driver from ati.com. I found that there were some
> > modifications the studio 64 forms that got the kernel module to build
> > right. http://64studio.com/node/150 (see sydb's post dated 12-23-2007)
> > They involve extracting the driver and then changing the license line on
> > a couple of files, and then building a package. I also have realized
> > that this does not give me the right to gripe if it hoses my
> > kernel/system on a realtime kernel. So far, I have had reasonable
> > success with this configuration.
> >
> > I am looking forward the the work on the ati and radeonhd driver so I
> > don't have to mess with fglrx anymore.
> >
> > Best wishes
> >
> > PF
>
> I tried envy, but without success. So, seems I've got to switch to Suse
> or wait an unknown time till a driver is working on linux-rt... Well,
> maybe I'll just play my guitar.
>
> Matthias

Well of course I'm not playing my guitar, instead I'm spending hours
again googling the web. I found this one:

"Yes.. the nvidia and ati drivers have been removed on purpose from rt
and xen packages - it says so in the changelog under the 2.6.22-9
release.

Quote:
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22 (2.6.22.2-9.6) gutsy; urgency=low

* Oh well, disable xen/rt for fglrx and nvidia.
It doesn't state why they were removed neither if they will be back."

Does anybody know something about this? Is there any way I can get them
back in? Meanwhile, I'll return to google...

Matthias