[LAU] fglrx + linux-rt + Ubuntu = possible!

From: Matthias Schönborn <mbs1303@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 14 2008 - 13:05:30 EET

I did it! Finally I'm able to boot linux-rt with working (but
proprietary) fglrx drivers. I used kernel versions 2.6.27-7 and
2.6.27-3-rt from the repos. Here's a Howto for everyone who also spend
hours of frustration:

0. Uninstall the fglrx driver and linux-rt if installed.

1. Last night I found https://launchpad.net/~abogani/+archive . There's
a subfolder "fglrx-installer". Download those debs
(fglrx-amdcccle_8.543, fglrx-kernel-source_8.543,
fglrx-modaliases_8.543, libamdxvba1_8.543, xorg-driver-fglrx_8.543,
xorg-driver-fglrx-dev_8.543) and install them. Neither mess around with
those other files like "fglrx-installer", I didn't need them, nor add
the repository to your list (also not needed, linux-rt won't even
install if you do that). If the files mentioned above aren't there,
email me.

2. Just install linux-rt, image, headers, restricted modules in synaptic
- watch for the dkms message! If fglrx was succesfully build in your
standart kernel, it should automatically install for the linux-rt
kernel. In my case it was confused because there was fglrx 8.552 and
fglrx 8.543 installed, I had to remove version 8.552 in order to get it
to build (sudo dkms remove -m fglrx -v 8.552 --all). If dkms in the
details dialog in synaptic says it's alright you should be fine.

I'm so happy, I'm going to post this on ubuntuusers.de and the
proprietary ati driver wiki.

Cheers!
Matthias