Re: [LAU] Desparately seeking: a gui-less DAW

From: <torbenh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 14 2008 - 13:57:46 EET

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 11:31:53AM +0100, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hi!
> Ecasound is good. Have been using it myself for years now.
> Yes the thought of syncing ecasound to MIDI is there. But the clock thing
> won't be here for a while. Which is a pity, I'm looking forward to it myself.
> BUT: The midi-sequencer midish is looking for a way. And that way would most
> certainly be put into an external application first. So you could probably
> just try to use it, when it's there.
> The idea is to translate MIDI clock to jack transport timing events. I don't
> know how this is coming along, but it's higher on the midish list, than
> MIDI-syncing is on ecasound's.

this cant work. jack-transport is running at the same speed as the
soundcard audio clock. All you can do, is stop it, and restart, at a new
position. But starting takes an undefined time in the presence of
slow-sync clients.

You can make that work for light weight clients. But ecasound is also a
slow sync client.

So all you can do is slave your midi gear to jack transport.
and of course interpret start-stop commands from the midi-gear.

An app that generates midiclock from jack-transport should be quite
trivial though.

--
torben Hohn