Re: [LAU] Bug: kernel or ardour related?

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 16 2008 - 03:31:35 EET

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Matthias Schönborn <mbs1303@gmx.de> wrote:
> Well, the day before yesterday I built the fglrx-modules for linux-rt,
> but now each time I try to use ardour it disconnects after a few minutes
> with the message that jack disconnected ardour for not being fast
> enough. Each time my whole system hangs for a few seconds, and cpu load
> is reported to be "e+02", e.g. 100% in qjackctl. Now dmesg tells me:

There are reasons the rt-kernel developers tell us not to use the ATI
closed source driver. I suspect the problems you are seeing fall
pretty much squarely in that domain. The fglrx driver is not (as far
as we know) designed to be real-time safe. No one can tell you what
it's doing internally that might cause a time delay and kick out
Ardour, but it seems to be doing that.

I'm curious as to why are you interested in using this driver on a
platform running Ardour. Is this machine dual-purpose? I.e. - is audio
a part time thing and you also do gaming, etc.? If you must do gaming
I think you're better off to go with NVidia. I've got both here and
have fewer problems with NVidia, but that's just my experience.

Good luck,
Mark