Re: [LAU] A little outside my comfort zone.

From: Joern Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Thu Dec 18 2008 - 14:07:43 EET

Folderol wrote:
> After much prodding from {ahem} friends, I've finally recorded my own
> voice on a song of mine. I originally composed it for a competition in
> September, bottled it and got someone else to sing. He did a good job
> and came up with some original ideas, but it still wasn't quite 'my'
> song, so I persevered and here is the result.
>
> http://www.musically.me.uk/music/Where_Have_The_Rainbows_Gone.ogg
> or
> http://www.musically.me.uk/music/Where_Have_The_Rainbows_Gone.mp3

very nice song and performance. the sound of the vocals is really good.

and now for the nitpicking :-D

to me it sounds a little odd that the organ constantly plays "colla
parte" with the vocals. in this composition, it makes some sense by
adding a "droning quality" (in the positive sense) together with the way
the same melody is used as an interlude. but generally i think your
intonation is good enough that you could take some more freedom with the
accompaniment in other tunes (and there is absolutely no dishonor in
using a colla parte instrument during recording to help nailing the
intonation and get rid of it in the final mix. what, me do such things?
never!)

the only thing i did not like was the synth syncopations at the end.
they disturb the drone and don't add weight to the ending, only unrest.
i could imagine the very same notes, but played a lot more laid back and
maybe with a rhodes sound, to have a better effect.

but then, nitpicking is always easy. thanks for sharing this song, and
keep 'em coming!

best,

jörn

--
jörn nettingsmeier
home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/