Re: [LAU] Best setup for sound recording under Intrepid

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 29 2008 - 20:48:54 EET

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 09:24:01 -0800
Stephen Nesbitt <stephen_nesbitt@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I'm looking for something like "The (almost) Perfect Sound Recording Setup
> for Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex".
               . . .
> The fundamental requirement is that one is running Intrepid as one's main
> system. Replacing Intrepid with Hardy is not an option.

This in a nutshell is one of the biggest frustrations I have with all the
various distributions of Linux and the desire for certain functionality,
especially since we have yet to see the realtime patches included in the
kernel.

I am pretty agnostic about distributions. I use RHEL and CentOS at work,
I've installed Ubuntu and Fedora on machines for people wanting to get
away from Windows, and played with SuSE, Debian, Knoppix and a few others.

When I was setting up my studio machine, I didn't ask "How do I force the
studio computer to work with my distro of choice?" but "Who has already done
the work of tweaking a distribution for audio work?" If you ask the first
question and Google doesn't reply with a clear answer, then the answer is
probably "nobody" and you're off in uncharted territory. (As with all such
projects, if you undertake it, document and post your findings!!)

My answer at the time was that the work done by Fernando at CCRMA at Stanford
to tweak Fedora for audio was a clear winner, though there have since been
other distros that have equally happy users.

My gut feeling is that if you absolutely require Intrepid for some reason,
you'll have to live with the performance and xrun issues. I can't imagine
that running an OS in any kind of virtual machine will bring any satisfaction,
as you're just adding a level of complexity. You'd be better off starting
with a new OS installation based on one of the distros tweaked for audio.

Good luck!