[LAU] jackd process can't be killed

From: R Dicaire <kritek@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 30 2008 - 21:34:02 EET

I'm running Debian Lenny on a custom 2.6.26.8-rt12 kernel. I notice
once jackd starts, it cannot be killed. kill -9 leaves the jackd
process in state DLs

       D Uninterruptible sleep (usually IO)
       L has pages locked into memory (for real-time and custom IO)
       s is a session leader

Running jackd -R -P70 -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p128 -n2 -Xseq
I get same behaviour from kernel 2.6.26.6-rt11.
Running in non-RT mode shows same behaviour

ice-1712 chipset M-Audio Delta 44

jackd version 0.109.2 tmpdir /dev/shm protocol 22
I built jack 0.116.x, alsa 1.0.18x, and still get same behaviour.
This kernels alsa driver is 0.16, upgraded to current 1.0.18a, same behaviour.

This whole situation is disheartening as I once had a working setup on
an older Ubuntu distribution where I could use skype with alsa's jack
plugin (yes, I know, Ubuntu doesn't ship it, I had to rebuild
libasound2-plugins pkg), but other alsa/jack issues forced me to have
to dump Ubuntu altogether.

I discovered the inability to kill jackd process while trying to
troubleshoot skypes use of alsa's jack plugin crashing jackd. Also
discovered any process that invoked that plugin would crash jackd when
the plugin thread disconnected from jackd. In all it seems my jack
setup is now unstable.

Any help in troubleshooting these problems would be appreciated, thank you.

--
aRDy Music and Rick Dicaire present:
http://www.ardynet.com