Re: [LAU] Saffire Pro26 [was: disappointing experience with firewire]

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 31 2008 - 22:03:12 EET

On 31 December 2008 at 20:17, <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de> wrote:

> > It seems that you like your pro26. Would you buy another one?
>
> i can't (this one cost me my soul). but if i were ever granted a spare
> soul, i might.

OK, I understand the money thing. I was more curious about whether
you'd buy one if you were rich. My concern is that some day I might
not be able to get a motherboard with two PCI slots for my two
M-Audio Delta 1010s. At that point I'll need to go with something
else, and then firewire must be considered. I need high channel
count inputs - my drumkit really needs 12 mics ;-)

> > What are you using to drive the ADAT channels? Could you let us know
> > what versions of distribution, kernel, and ffado you are using?
>
> when i'm in need of extra analog i/o, i hook up a (gasp!) behringer ada
> 8000. definitely not the nicest of converters, but does the job (unless
> you need decent mic preamps).

I'd also have to get an ADAT i/o converter of some sort to get to my
desired channel count. Do you know if multiple firewire devices will
sync with each other?

> my current kernel is (alternating) a .24-rt-something and a .27.
> i follow ffado's 2.0 svn branch, jack is also from svn, but the latest
> releases should be ok.

I'm running jack 0.116.1 and haven't branched out (no SVN pun) into
firewire yet.

Thanks....

--
Kevin