Re: [LAU] command line playlist (m3u) creator anyone?

From: Matthew Smith <matt@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 01 2009 - 12:38:33 EET

Quoth Kevin Cosgrove at 2009-01-01 20:28...
> Anyone know of a nice command-line playlist creator? I'm thinking of
> something like:
>
> playlist-creator directory -o directory.m3u

A trivial exercise in bash, or the shell of your choice. I did
something very similar when I originally ripped all of my CDs and popped
them onto my intranet server:

ls *.mp3 |sort > playlist.m3u

Obviously this only works if you are in the directory, but it would take
very little work to expand the bash script to work as you want it.

The sort is in there because I named all the tracks along the lines of:

nn-xxxx.mp3

...where nn is the album sequence and xxxx is the title.

If I wanted anything more sophisticated, I'd knock something together in
Perl - which I did to create the HTML page that listed all the albums
(all in their own directories) with play links that went to the playlists.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/
Personal: http://www.smiffysplace.com/