Re: [LAU] recommendations for midi controller keyboard

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 06 2009 - 19:10:30 EET

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 8:59 AM, andy baxter
<andy@email-addr-hidden-online.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of getting a midi controller keyboard. I.e. no onboard
> synth just a keyboard which sends midi messages to the computer. Should
> be pressure sensitive but not worried about aftertouch. Ideally it
> should work with a usb cable under Linux (but have a midi out as well in
> case I ever need it). Assignable controller knobs would be nice but not
> necessary.
>
> I had a quick look on the gak.co.uk website, and this one looks like the
> sort of thing I want (though I don't know if it works with Linux):
> http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-umx-61/70535
>
> Any (other) recommendations?
>
> andy

I've got a Studio Logic but it's MIDI out, not USB out. That's OK for
my needs as it works fine with my little M-Audio USB interface. It's
expensive and heavy. Both are probably not to your liking.

One thing you didn't mention in your requirements list was MIDI zones.
I find them very helpful myself as traditionally Linux MIDI didn't
have good software to do this. Not sure of the recent status of that
sort of thing but it's nice on my 88 key unit to be able to send a few
octaves to a different synth.

- Mark