Re: [LAU] Distributions kernels'n stuff

From: Cassiel <raffaele.morelli@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 10 2009 - 15:03:30 EET

2009/1/10 Svend-Erik Kjær Madsen <sv-e@email-addr-hidden-e.dk>

> fre, 09 01 2009 kl. 10:08 +0100, skrev Cassiel:
> > Well, kernel compilation requires some dev packages+kernel headers.
> > First of all run apt-get build-dep linux-source-2.6.26
> >
> > In your case, even if I am not a danish motherlanguage :-) , you miss
> > zlib1g-dev package
> > For other possible missing (header) files have a look at
> > http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages.en.html#search_contents, you
> > can easily find the package the file belongs to.
> >
> > Furthermore I suggest you to look at
> > http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/, there are plenty of
> > information for every debian kernel related question.
> >
> > raffaele
> >
> Hi again
>
> Ok I got the kernel compiled and running, under compiling there where
> small errormessages in between, but I can't remember them....
>
> I compiled by following this guide:
>
> http://paulsundvall.blogspot.com/2008/11/compile-realtime-kernel-in-debian-lenny.html
>
> It ended up with an installable deb kernelfile. I can boot on it and
> start up jack and get it running, but my midi seems to be non working.
>
> Isn't there a howto for dummies regarding what to choose and setup for
> DAW use, during "Make Config" besides the 3 issues in the guide i
> followed ?

I think you don't need it, your kernel is up and running and RT capable (I
prefer the debian sources instead of the vanilla ones but it's up to you).

Your next step is to tweak your /etc/security/limits.conf file in order to
run rt application as non root user (jack,ardour) and that is covered in the
alsa low latency howto I linked in a previous mail.

Midi was broken until
this<http://www.nabble.com/-PATCH---RT--tasklets%3A-fix-typo-in-tasklet_hi_action-tt21277388.html>patch
was posted so you should recompile now.

ra