Re: [LAU] Some fun for drummers, and those who like them

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 19 2009 - 21:21:12 EET

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 08:02:43AM -0800, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

> On 19 January 2009 at 1:12, Grammostola Rosea <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > I am wondering, what is a good way to learn some drumming? I was
> > thinking of just buying a snare drum and two sticks...
>
> 31 years ago I bought a pair of sticks. I couldn't afford the drum,
> so I used cardboard boxes. These days you could use a 5 gallon
> plastic bucket, like street drummers sometimes use. It doesn't
> matter how you start; just start. Lessons will speed up your
> learning, and keep you from falling into traps from teaching yourself.
> You could get an instructional video too.

Indeed. These might be pretty instructional, or at least inspirational:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=new+york+street+drummer&search_type=&aq=f

Actually there are so many fantastic videos on YouTube, available for free, it's astounding. Who do you want to study? Vinnie Colaiuta? Terry Bozzio? Steve Gadd? Stewart Copeland? Back when I was a kid, you had to buy instructional videos and they cost a lot of money. Nowadays you can just fire up teh YouTubes and see any amazing musician you care to FOR FREE! It's a resource I would have killed for when I was a kid.

Not just drums, and not just funk or jazz either. How 'bout this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RjebdVKIAM

Pick your virtuoso, type their name into YouTube, watch, listen, and learn. The sky's the limit.

-ken