[LAU] Re : Some fun for drummers, and those who like them

From: Sylvain HENRY <hsyl20@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 19 2009 - 22:52:33 EET

----- Message d'origine ----
> De : Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
> À : Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
> Cc : Linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
> Envoyé le : Lundi, 19 Janvier 2009, 20h21mn 12s
> Objet : Re: [LAU] Some fun for drummers, and those who like them
>
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 08:02:43AM -0800, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> >
> > On 19 January 2009 at 1:12, Grammostola Rosea
> wrote:
> >
> > > I am wondering, what is a good way to learn some drumming? I was
> > > thinking of just buying a snare drum and two sticks...
> >
> > 31 years ago I bought a pair of sticks. I couldn't afford the drum,
> > so I used cardboard boxes. These days you could use a 5 gallon
> > plastic bucket, like street drummers sometimes use. It doesn't
> > matter how you start; just start. Lessons will speed up your
> > learning, and keep you from falling into traps from teaching yourself.
> > You could get an instructional video too.
> >

> Indeed. These might be pretty instructional, or at least inspirational:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=new+york+street+drummer&search_type=&aq=f
>
> Actually there are so many fantastic videos on YouTube, available for free, it's
> astounding. Who do you want to study? Vinnie Colaiuta? Terry Bozzio? Steve Gadd?
> Stewart Copeland? Back when I was a kid, you had to buy instructional videos and
> they cost a lot of money. Nowadays you can just fire up teh YouTubes and see any
> amazing musician you care to FOR FREE! It's a resource I would have killed for
> when I was a kid.

I recommend that you watch Dave Weckl instructional videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUPu9yA_-7Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhSURjNmKRo
These are from his Natural Evolution DVDs. It really helped me to learn how to hold sticks!

And finally, you can do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4VzO9ARWUY
Or at least try ;-)

Cheers,