Re: [LAU] OT: Phantom power and my acoustic guitar

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Mon Jan 26 2009 - 19:16:05 EET

Andrea Del Signore wrote:
> Hi Jörn,
>
> thanks for your clarifications, and thanks to all the other advises.
>
> So now it's clear to me that all I can do is:
>
> 1) Open my guitar electronics and see how is wired :( 2) Just try and
> hope
>
> By the way I already searched the ibanez site for the preamp manual,
> but it doesn't contains any info on phantom power nor it does specify
> if the output is balanced or unbalanced.

in fact, i didn't think about checking the guitar, nor did i understand
that the preamp already comes with an XLR out - somehow i assumed you
were using a jack-to-XLR adapter. this page

http://undergroundmusic.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=720

states quite clearly that the XLR is balanced, so it should work just
fine with phantom-powered inputs. just be careful when unplugging
phantom-powered lines - they will make your speakers jump at you when
not muted :)