Re: [LAU] Any opinions on this ...

From: James Cameron <quozl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 27 2009 - 04:24:00 EET

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 06:03:21PM +0100, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> However, unless you mount your HD in rubber bands and
> further put it in a super-silent highly isolated box to avoid the
> remaining high-frequency blipps, a good 120mm fan running at 5V would be
> extremely unlikely to be more annoying than the HD.

Undervolt of fan can be risky. Check the specifications of the fan to
ensure it is designed to start even at 5V.

1. there exist some 12V fans that have a design feature that requires
them to not start if supply is less than 6V, the feature being that it
helps integrators to not give the wrong supply to a fan expecting it to
work to specified air flow rate,

2. there exist some 12V fans that will start fine at 5V, despite being
specified to start at 10V, and the normal operating life of the fan
slowly changes the starting threshold, due to aging of the electronic
commutator components. One day it doesn't start, and you wonder why.

I love it though. Nice and quiet. I've a centrifugal fan taken from a
deceased external SCSI storage unit which I'm undervolting to 7V (from
12V) for cooling me during this summer. So quiet I can sleep within a
foot of it, and the air flow is less random.

--
James Cameron    mailto:quozl@email-addr-hidden     http://quozl.netrek.org/