Re: [LAU] Are RT-patches needed anymore? (Was Re: >= 2.6.27 RT ETA?)

From: Tapani Sysimetsä <tapani.sysimetsa@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 27 2009 - 19:38:29 EET

Peder Hedlund wrote:
> I've been running the standard kernel from openSUSE 11.0 on my Athlon
> 2000+ and can get down to at least 5.3ms latency on an Audiophile 2496
> using the limits.conf "trick".
>
> Do people really need lower latencies for music purposes or are we
> just thinking "well, I needed the RT patch three years ago; I ain't
> stopping now" ?

DOHH :) Yes, my reason indeed is that I needed it 3 years ago, and
haven't ever since tried to make music with a non-rt-patched kernel. Bye
bye to all the hassle with compiling and headaches with wireless drivers
(although I learned many things that way too). And rebooting! 5.8 msec
is perfectly fine for me, and now i realize that my laptop can roll even
with 2.9 msec (Turion 64 X2 TL-64 with Echo Indigo IO, kernel 2.6.28).

Oh mine...

Anyway,
Thanks!

Tapani