Re: [LAU] using a condensator microphone live

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 28 2009 - 14:06:05 EET

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 01:01:55PM +0100, Atte André Jensen wrote:

> Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
>> The important point is not if the mic is condenser or dynamic,
>> but if it is designed for on-stage vocals or not.
>>
>> Most condensors are 'studio' mics, they also tend to be more
>> sensitive to handling noise and environmental conditions (in
>> particular humidity and air currents).
>>
>> Yours is explicitly advertised as a 'studio mic'.
>
> Ok, so basically your saying I should rather forget about it and get a
> second SM58 (or something like that)?

Yes - at least you'll have a safety margin,

Of course, if you have a fallback that will work,
nothing should stop you from trying the condenser
mic to see how it performs in those conditions.
If you're lucky (which depends on circumstances)
it will do the job, but you could be less lucky
next time - it's IHMO not something you can count
on.

Ciao,

--
FA