Re: [LAU] New Linux DAW build. AMD790GX chipset working OK?

From: R.Wolff <musicwolf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 29 2009 - 07:07:34 EET

Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> On 29 January 2009 at 1:47, "R.Wolff" <musicwolf@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> ;-) But seriously, I'd go with Tyan or ASUS for your motherboard.

I surely can't afford a Tyan board. he cheapest one I can find here in germany
cost about 3x as much as the ASRock. And I already mentioned that my budget is
extremely tight.

> Do your homework when choosing the RAM. It's got to be good in
> the motherboard you're using, and memory errors are terrible to
> diagnose, if you have them.

Yeah, I know this from hard learned lesson. But I thought that OCZ is a good
memory brand?

> Since you said DAW, I'd add "quiet"
> to your list of power supply features of utmost importance.

The quit factor is too important to me, the PC is well hidden and not disturbing
me that much. ;)

> Besides DAW, you mentioned that
> you need excellent graphics. Are you going to produce video, or
> maybe you're trying to build a machine for gaming too?

That's a misunderstanding, maybe I'm not expressing myself very well.
What I meant was, does this iGPU (ATI HD3300) work well under linux? What I need
most is solid 2D performance over two monitors.

> You'll
> need to choose your audio interface for the DAW, and that might
> impact your choice of motherboards, which will ripple through all
> of your other choices.

Well, I'll use my Delta 1010LT from the old box, which is rock salad under linux :D

> G'luck...
>
> --
> Kevin

Thanks,