Re: [LAU] New Linux DAW build. AMD790GX chipset working OK?

From: Bob van der Poel <bob@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 29 2009 - 20:43:09 EET

R.Wolff wrote:
> Hi,
> are you talking about this particular board? Or ASRock in general?
> My current board is an ASRock as well, and it's a better performer than my
> previous Gigabyte which cost me twice as much.
> Because from all the info I could gather, this board is looking like a winner.
> Very good reviews, good performance, good capacitors etc.

Just in general. The board I had was a AM2NF6G-VSTA ... I went though 3
boards under warrenty over a 3 month period. Don't recall all the
reasons, but I think one developed a bas USB port. The last one I put it
in a new box with 1 gig of ram and it is running fine for my wife, but
her computing demands don't go much past checking her gmail account. One
problem I had with the asrock boards was when I added ram ... they
worked, but then crashed from time to time. The price difference
between that board and the ASUS M2N-SLI wasn't much more that $30 as I
recall ... and it has been solid since I built the system. Life is too
short to screw around with flaky hardware.

The local vendor I got the asrock board from told me (after) that he
wasn't going to be carrying them (all) anymore. Good price, but too many
problems. He makes no money sending back dead boards under warranty.

--
  **** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob@email-addr-hidden