Re: [LAU] A new song again...

From: James Cameron <quozl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 30 2009 - 00:30:23 EET

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 01:37:11PM +0100, Julien Claassen wrote:
> http://juliencoder.de/we_failed.ogg

Nice. Reminds me, failing is learning. Failing on something you cannot
learn from is futile. Moving a planet is something to get right first
time. Larry Niven's A World Out of Time (1976).

Technical critique:

1. when you sing a word ending in a 'd', like 'failed', change the 'd'
sound to a 't' sound, this accentuates the end of the word, increasing
the sense of timing, and makes it easier for your listener to
comprehend. You do this sometimes in that piece, but not every time.
(Was something I was taught in anglican church choral tradition in about
1981).

2. to increase your vocal tuning, create a temporary track containing
the melody, and provide that track in the headphones or monitor, at a
level at which you can hear both the generated melody and your voice
equally, then listen for dissonance and correct your voice, ... remove
the temporary track from the final mix. If you are not satisfied with
your tuning, practice in that way. (Again something from choral
tradition, though the other sources were the other voices around me).

--
James Cameron    mailto:quozl@email-addr-hidden     http://quozl.netrek.org/