Re: [LAU] [OT] Stone soup

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 30 2009 - 02:14:51 EET

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 09:27:48PM +0000, Folderol wrote:
>
>> We've had stone soup a few times over on the Kara-Moon forum. The trick
>> is knowing when to remove the stone. Too soon and the soup is thin and
>> doesn't develop any real flavour. Too late and it becomes thick and
>> lifeless.
>
> I learned about stone soup years ago, when
> learning Portuguese in evening class, in a
> text we had to study. The story went as
> follows:
>
> A beggar arrives at a farm, and asks for some
> water to make soup. He's given the water, makes
> a fire a starts boiling a stone. The farmer and
> his family are looking at the scene in disbelief.
>
> When the water is boiling, the beggar asks:
> "maybe you've got also a tomato or so ?"
> He's given a tomato.
> And some other vegatables ?
> And some mushrooms ?
> And maybe some piece of meat or chicken ?
> And some salt, pepper and 'alecrim' (rosemary) ?
>
> So he ends up with quite a good soup.
>
> Ciao,

"stone soup" is indeed a traditional portuguese tale. besides a couple
or so of international variants, including the Grimm bros. version, the
actual soup can be ordered on the most typical restaurants at the
location of Almeirim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almeirim) -- actually
it's a very thick and rich soup, a complete meal on its own ;)

cheers

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@email-addr-hidden