Re: [LAU] Anyone got OpenMusic 5.2.1 to work? Or at least MidiShare?

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 01 2009 - 17:21:21 EET

Holger Ballweg wrote:
> I'm currently trying to get OpenMusic working on ArchLinux, without the
> tiniest success. IŽd really like to know if anyone has this running
> currently...

Alas, OM's Linux development is pretty slow, if not actually dead at
this time. Karim Haddad is the man to contact, I've cc'd this message to
him.

> Did anyone get MidiShare to build and work on a 2.6.1x kernel?

Yes, IIRC there are some packages prepared by Dr Albert Graef that will
build against some 2.6 kernels. Also cc'd.

> Did anyone get so far to use OpenMusic on linux in recent times?

No, but the last time it worked for me I noted that Karim had done some
good work on usability. Alas, IRCAM is rather devoted to commercial
software. I understand that OM development is now primarily on the Mac
and uses a proprietary toolkit (LispWorks, I think).

> MidiShare btw bails out with this:

I suggest that you try to reach Dr Graf, Karim Haddad, and maybe Yann
Orlarey at GRAME (also cc'd).

Good luck, and do let us know how you get along with this project.

Btw, AlgoScore is definitely worth your attention, but it isn't much
like Open Music. Also, I wrote to the author of pwgl and inquired about
a Linux port. He never replied.

Best,

dp