[LAU] Success! An Asus EEE softsynth!

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 03 2009 - 12:28:56 EET

I'm happy to report that I am writing this from my new EEE softsynth, running an RT-patched kernel, jackd, and several softsynths.

System info, if anyone is interested, is here:
http://restivo.org/projects/eee

I'm stunned that this even works, but it does, and astoundingly well!

I've got cpufreq userspace governor, manually set to maximum CPU speed (1.6Ghz). I'm using the crappy built-in hda-intel card, and not even at its native frame rate (I'm at 44100, not 48000). I'm also using a version of jackd that has been reported to be sub-optimal (0.109.2-3).

The last missing peices were the rt2860sta and atl1e drivers, which I built in a few minutes from source packages already in Debian-EEE (make-kpkg modules_image .... done!). Many thanks for the patch to fix the alsa_seq; it works perfectly in the 2.6.26.8-rt12 kernel.

I now have a usable Linux synth for live performance, which weighs 1.45KG, fits in a backpack, runs all my crucial sounds, draws about 1 amp at maximum CPU speed, and reportedly will run 6 hours on its own internal battery. With the cheap Edirol PCR-30 I bought a few months ago, and a small battery-powered amp, I can do street performances now-- or other casual gigs-- while lugging a minimum amount of gear. I'm thrilled.

I still have to compile a couple packages that aren't in Debian: my own few utilitiies, AZR3-JACK, klick, WhySynth, and a few others, and I'm set to go. I also want to recompile the kernel again to change the timer 1000Hz not 250Hz.

0.109 works, but what is the most stable/reliable/efficient version of JACK I should look into. 0.116?

-ken
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
Linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Received on Tue Feb 3 16:15:01 2009

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Tue Feb 03 2009 - 16:15:01 EET