Re: [LAU] Phonic Helix Board 24 on Fedora

From: pete shorthose <zenadsl6252@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 13 2009 - 19:50:11 EET

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:24:23 +0000
Jonathan Gazeley <jonathan.gazeley@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up my Phonic Helix Board 24 on Fedora 10. I've added
> the CCRMA repository but I'm *not* running a CCMRA kernel. I have just
> used this repository to install ffado and jack.
>
> [jonathan@email-addr-hidden ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686.PAE
>
> [jonathan@email-addr-hidden ~]$ rpm -q ffado
> ffado-2.0-0.6.rc1.fc10.ccrma.i386
>
> Starting jack gives the output below. Running as root gives exactly the same output. I've made sure that all users have read/write permissions on the firewire port (chmod a+rw /dev/fw*)
>
> I'm a fairly experienced Linux user but I know very little about audio on Linux. Can anyone shed any light on this? I had the same Phonic device working on Fedora 8 some time ago but that computer is now a distant memory...
>
> Any help will be gratefully accepted!
> Thanks,
> Jonathan
>

> [jonathan@email-addr-hidden ~]$ jackd -d firewire
> jackdmp 1.9.1
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> Copyright 2004-2008 Grame.
> jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> no message buffer overruns
> no message buffer overruns
> JACK server starting in non-realtime mode
> 17888687627: (ffado.cpp)[ 92] ffado_streaming_init: libffado 1.999.40-
> built Dec 12 2008 16:33:37
> 17891092850: Debug (bebob_mixer.cpp)[ 126]
> addElementForAllFunctionBlocks: Adding elements for functionblocks...
> libiec61883 warning: Established connection on channel 0.
> You may need to manually set the channel on the receiving node.
> libiec61883 warning: Established connection on channel 1.
> You may need to manually set the channel on the transmitting node.
> firewire ERR: Could not start streaming threads

I saw this error when i tried to start jack with optimistic period values.
try with something considerably higher to test that (add -p4096 -n3 -r96000
to the command line invocation for example). That's too much latency for
some (probably most) scenarios but it might get you a step closer to finding out what's wrong.
Get a RT kernel setup too and try that.

cheers,
pete.