Re: [LAU] an rt kernel for ubuntu 8.10 ?

From: Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 14 2009 - 17:45:56 EET

Hi Dave,

Den Saturday 14 February 2009 15:45:58 skrev Dave Phillips:
> Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> > ... I have no more xruns (using 2.6.27-3-rt on 8.10 with KDE 4.2
> > desktop) and the latency I use when recording is normally 1.45 ms on
> > my lap top with acpi off. The USB card is an old M-audio Mobile PreUSB
> > (44100 16-bit). I do not record often with on my lap top, but
> > everything works fine when I have to use it.
> >

> > So you might give the 2.6.27-3-rt the last chance with some help from
> > jackdmp 1.9 (the upcoming jack 2.0). I have used jackdmp around 11
> > months now and it's IMO the only choice on a 64 bits machine with more
> > than one core. I also use jackdmp on my studio machine and are really
> > happy with it.
> >

> > I hope this helps.
>
> Hi Jostein,
>
> This is interesting. Did you patch the rt sources at all or are you
> running the kernel as it came from the repo ? Did you simply drop-in the
> jackdmp version of jackd (./waf configure --prefix=/usr) or was any
> other action required ?

I use the repo RT kernel without patches but , but almost all the other music
related stuff are compiled from sources. I also pass acpi=off to the kernel
parameter (2.6.27-3-rt) in /boot/grub/menu.lst.
My use of waf does probably do the same as you suggested, here is my
configure recipe:

PREFIX=/usr ./waf configure
./waf build
sudo ./waf install.

This way, 1.9 will replace your current jack installation. Some programs might
probably complain because 1.9 do have a slightly different API, but my Ardour
2.7.1, Rosegarden 1.7.2, CVS version of the Linuxsampler apps and all
important LV2 and LADSPA plugins works just fine, so I'm happy.

Jostein