Re: [LAU] Bpm detection/quantize

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 16 2009 - 00:09:08 EET

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 08:56:09PM +0000, pete shorthose wrote:

> Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> (about Wagner's Rheingold ouverture)
> > It would a be difficult one for any beat detector I'd say,
> > and any beats would totally destroy it. There's enough life
> > in it with just the three Rheintöchter.
>
> This is really an argument about semantics. Surely it's easier to
> more clearly define what you mean by good music than it is to
> fight over who best embodies the meaning of the original word which
> is by now utterly bastardised. There are many different factors that
> contribute to a person deciding that a given piece of music is good.
> If you want to exclude any of them then you should define those
> exclusions from the outset, if only to avoid the controversy that
> will arise as a result of that omission.

What discussions of what constitutes good music
are you referring to ?

I commented on the example given in the original
post. Everybody can put beats on the Rheingold
ouverture, it's as easy as spraying some bright
yellow paint on a copy of a Rubens picture, and
the result is similar.

Apart from the idea 'this is possible' either
act takes nothing that could be called creative,
you don't need to be a musician or a painter to
do it. Anyone doing this and pretending to be
an artist is just fooling his audience. Apart
from the 'act' which may result in five minutes
of fame - look what I've done ! - it would be
completely irrelevant, except in a completely
different context that would have nothing to
do with either music or painting.

You can always try it if you want. There isn't
any regular 'beat' pattern in the Rheingold
ouverture - it's meant to be suggestive of
flowing water and waves if anything. A human
listener can detect it's written in 6/8, but
only because some of the melodic patterns
suggest this. Any beat detector I know of
would have a difficult time. But go ahead,
put some beats on it manually and enjoy the
result !

Ciao,

--
FA