Re: [LAU] 24-bit files and hisss.... GOT IT

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 16 2009 - 22:27:18 EET

On Monday 16 February 2009 20:55:15 Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 20:19 +0100, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 08:49:50PM +0200, Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> > > Let's ask the question the other way around: if upsampling is a
> > > superior way to convert from digital to analog, why do we see
> > > upsampling being mentioned only in obscenely expensive hi-fi CD
> > > players? Why Lynx, Apogee, RME, etc. don't use this technology in their
> > > highly praised converters?
> > Don't they ? It's probably just inside the chips they use.
> That was the point I was trying to make in the previous paragraph from the
> one you quoted. The point here was that it seems a lot of companies making
> high quality converters don't feel upsampling is worth mentioning.

Are they really upsampling?

I was under the impression that they use one fast converter (far faster then
the sampling rate you hear) and the (de-)multiplex the signal to the various
channels. Should be easier than syncing several converter clocks.

The devices I work with on the other hand go exactly the other way, they
combine several 1GS/s adc's to have one 4GS/s adc. But they face their own set
of clock-sync problems...

Have fun,

Arnold