Re: [LAU] Phonic Helix Board 24 on Fedora

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 17 2009 - 01:40:47 EET

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 16:24 +0000, Jonathan Gazeley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up my Phonic Helix Board 24 on Fedora 10. I've added
> the CCRMA repository but I'm *not* running a CCMRA kernel. I have just
> used this repository to install ffado and jack.
>
> [jonathan@email-addr-hidden ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686.PAE
>
> [jonathan@email-addr-hidden ~]$ rpm -q ffado
> ffado-2.0-0.6.rc1.fc10.ccrma.i386
>
> Starting jack gives the output below. Running as root gives exactly the
> same output. I've made sure that all users have read/write permissions
> on the firewire port (chmod a+rw /dev/fw*)
>
> I'm a fairly experienced Linux user but I know very little about audio
> on Linux. Can anyone shed any light on this? I had the same Phonic device
> working on Fedora 8 some time ago but that computer is now a distant memory...
>
> Any help will be gratefully accepted!

The firewire stack that is built into the Fedora kernels is not
compatible with FFADO. The Fedora kernels have been broken for firewire
audio for a loooong time.

If you want to use FFADO you will have to boot into the Planet CCRMA rt
kernel which has been build with the old firewire stack (which probably
will have other problems - such is the current state of rt patch, oh
well).

The issue has nothing to do with the rt patch or running with -R, it is
just the wrong (newer) firewire stack.

-- Fernando