Re: [LAU] Updating without cvs or svn

From: alex stone <compose59@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 21 2009 - 04:03:05 EET

James, you're right on the seperate computers bit, something i've been doing
for a long time now. The point about the safe install is valid, but this is
a colleague's computer, and i'm not so desperate to update the laptop, as to
start installing stuff on someone else's pc. (Might seem weird to some, but
i'd consider that......impolite.) My question was one of curiosity if CVS or
SVN based repos could be simply D/L as a snapshot build, i.e., tarball, as
Ray wisely pointed out.

The advice you give about control system tools is certainly useful to know
though, so thanks for sharing.

Alex.

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 3:56 AM, James Cameron <quozl@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 05:24:58AM +0800, Ray Rashif wrote:
> > There is no fear of anything with VCS tools. Security people install
> > these all the time:
>
> Just to explain this further ... well known version control system tools
> are usually maintained with more vigour than other tools, because they
> are used for so many things. Security vulnerabilities get noticed,
> fixed, and distributed. If you find a tool with no security fixes these
> days, you begin to worry about whether anybody is noticing the
> vulnerabilities that need fixing.
>
> On the other hand, truly paranoid security people don't install these
> tools on their most trusted systems.
>
> For a musician's computer, if you can afford it then use a unit totally
> separate to your regular computer, and don't do things on it that have a
> security risk impact ... like online banking or purchasing.
>
> Putting all your eggs in one basket can really teach you a lot, over
> time.
>
> --
> James Cameron mailto:quozl@email-addr-hidden http://quozl.netrek.org/

Parchment Studios (It started as a joke...)