Re: [LAU] good linux distros for audio

From: Gabriel M. Beddingfield <gabriel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 22 2009 - 19:28:14 EET

Michiel wrote:
> I am currently running Ubuntu Hardy Heron and I am quite dissatisfied with
> its audio performance. I find it a complete mess of settings that sometimes
> work and sometimes dont. Skype does not work at all, neither does Second
> Life Voice. Other audio applications sometimes work and sometimes dont. I
> have tried a lot of recommendations on many forums. Reading those forums I
> do get the impression that Ubuntu is not a good choice for audio at all. So
> here is my question:
>
> Which Linux distro is regarded as a good and reliable choice for audio?
> Playing, recording, gaming, voip, etc.

I use 64 Studio for playing and recording on a 500MHz PIII desktop. I recommend
it highly. It features an -rt patch (low-latency) kernel.

Version 2.0 is very stable -- but a little dated (e.g. JACK version 0.100.?,
Ardour 0.90.?... or something like that). FWIW, it's based on Debian Etch. It
only provides a DVD ISO install, but it is possible to install Etch and upgrade
to 64 Studio.

Version 3.0 is in alpha/beta testing and is based on Ubuntu Hardy. I'm
currently using that, and enjoy it quite a bit. It provides a CD ISO for
install. The only trouble I had was with setting up my MidiSport 1x1 firmware
loader.

Peace,
Gabriel