Re: [LAU] good linux distros for audio

From: Viktor Mastoridis <viktor@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 22 2009 - 20:31:13 EET

I use UbuntuStudio 8.04 (Hardy Heron) with Intel Dual Core, 6gb RAM, 64-bit.

My computer is compiled at a Computer Fair (I've done my homework -
informing myself about Alsa supported soundcards and bought the HDSP 96/32
soundcard and a compatible video-card).

In April 2008 I downloaded 5 recommended audio distro's - *Only UbuntuStudio
8.04 worked out of the box for me. *

I use it for professional work.

The distro is stable, solid (skype works well - I have used it in the past)

I use the installed software, adding some minor pieces (Rakarrack, Qsynth
and Qtractor upgrades, etc)

I am extremely satisfied - never had a system crash or any unusual issues.

I use Ardour (and lately Qtractor), Rosegarden, Hydrogen, Rackarrack, Jamin,
Qsynth, ZynAddSubFx -* all at the same time*, recording up to 20 audio and
many midi channels, plugins - no issues at all.

Viktor