Re: [LAU] good linux distros for audio

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 26 2009 - 05:18:41 EET

lanas wrote:
> Le Lundi, 23 février 2009 17:25:45 +0100,
> mikk <michiel33@email-addr-hidden> a écrit :
>

>> Who can explain to me why it seems to be so hard to get a stable
>> audio and video environment in Linux (not requiring recompilations
>> and intricate tweaks) while this problem seems to have been solved
>> quite satisfactorily in Windows? What is the fundamental reason for
>> this?
>>

> For me it's simple: everything worked fine and then 'they' came up with
> Pulse Audio.

I just don't see this problem for consumer multimedia.

I have been using pulse audio over the past year and I haven't had any
issues with it other than it took a couple of hours to get used to the
two interfaces. I just installed a brand new laptop with Fedora 10 and
sound worked out of the box. The video camera worked out of the box. I
can see flash natively with the 64 bit adobe plugin. I was able to
quickly get access to the non-free repo and now have access to all the
multimedia tools I need to get up and running. Most audio and video I
stream via flash these days anyway. I rarely download but if I do I only
need vlc or amarok to play the data.

Granted I haven't tried to get the rt kernel running yet or any of the
professional tools installed on this setup but for a stock standard
install Fedora 10 has everything correct afaict. I had to do a similar
install recently on a desktop and I had everything I needed up and
running within a week thanks to yum and svn. I don't foresee this being
any more difficult on my new notebook.

I do agree with you that some of the things that have been removed over
the past couple of years to make the desktop more like a m$ windows are
a step backwards. I am hoping that the trend will be slowly reversed but
I doubt it. The more people buying netbooks with ubuntu means the more
simplified/automated the gnome and kde desktops are going to become.
That's fine for non technical users as we power users can easily get our
favorite desktop running with minimal effort.

> Also, while at it:
>
> kpdf worked fine and then 'they' got rid of it and replaced it with
> some Okular in the newest KDE 4.x.
>
> The Konqueror web browser had nice icons to zoom in/out of pages
> and then 'they' removed them totally.
>
> You could drag and drop files from a file manager to a console window
> and then 'they' removed that functionality in KDE 4.x.
>
> I could assign Alt-1. Alt-2, etc... to switch desktops and then they
> made that really hard to assign in KDE 4.x (still haven't found it)
>
> OK, what else... hmmm... can't find anything else. For the moment :-)
>
> I don't know if this is progress, but sometimes I doubt it.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.