Re: [LAU] hdspmixer: HwDep ioctl failed. Metering stopped

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 28 2009 - 20:38:59 EET

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Alex Norman <alex@neisis.net> wrote:
> So, I'm trying to get my friend to gather the information requested.. but
> suddenly his multiface started with metering.  It seems as though Tim and my
> friend might be experiencing the same issue then..  I'm not sure if it has
> happened again since he's rebooted.. or if he has rebooted since he got it
> working.. [without doing anything specific, just rmmod/modprobe and reboot].
>
> -Alex

Some of these RME devices coupled with the Linux drivers can act a bit
different if you visit Windows before you go into Linux. The hardware
retains some settings and then features start to work, or start
failing, after a warm boot. I cannot remember what my issue was but
there was a point some years ago where to get the system to work the
way I wanted I needed to boot Windows then warm boot Linux. That is no
longer true (and hasn't been) but maybe you guys are hitting a corner
condition.

If you care to test it or are just a curious gypsy like me, then cold
boot Linux, run your hardware. See what works and doesn't work. (If
anything.) Then cold boot Windows, run the hardware by popping up the
Windows mixer of the RME config app, and then warm boot Linux and run
your hardware again. Note any changes if any.

Cheers,
Mark