Re: [LAU] laptop/pc purchase checklist

From: Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 28 2009 - 23:25:19 EET

> * harddrive speed --> check with hdparm(?), ok-ish values?

There's no way around this one as 5400RPM is standard for laptops due to the
heat and price of 7200. Seek time is the variable of more significance here,
coupled with a bigger cache (larger buffer). Yet again, those are pretty
standard too.*

* If SSD/CF becomes as cheap and large as traditional HDDs, we can achieve
really high performance as we no longer have to deal with a spinner and seek
time. Heavy sampling would then become much less of a pain to the system.