Re: [LAU] Rumble noise from mic

From: lanas <lanas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 02:15:24 EET

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 00:02:37 +0100,
Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote :

> What happens when you touch any other metal parts that
> should be grounded, e.g. the connecter or your sound card,
> the computer, etc. ?

I'm now in the Twilight Zone. I think I'll hear Rod Serling
speaking anytime soon. Perhaps my lack of knowledge of things
electrical contributes to this. On the second mic input of the M-audio
1010LT card there's a direct box that's connected. For the problem
description I've removed it to be sure only the mic was causing the
noise. Now I've put the direct box back in. The weird thing is, if,
using the mic stand, I rest the end of the mic on the direct box
(itself on the desk) then the noise goes to a minimum. Still there,
but the least I've heard so far. The input to the direct box is the
pick up of an accoustic bass guitar. The direct box itself has a few
options, such as a ground lift, reverse polarity, -15dB pad. Apart
from the -15dB pad, the others does not seem to do much.