Re: [LAU] jkmeter user man or a simply guide?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 11:14:00 EET

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 05:49:16PM -0700, Leonardo Palomares wrote:

> I'm using sidux pontos, and after a small battle finally could install
> jkmeter using a deb from here:
> http://archive.ematech.fr/dists/hardy/others/ before that, tried
> using the files at:
> http://www.kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio/downloads/index.html but no
> luck.

I really can't comment much on 'no luck' - if it doesn't
compile or install there will be error messages.

> ok, README file got this examples:
>
> jkmeter -type k14 : K14 scale instead of K20
> jkmeter -A : Ambisonic (4ch) mode
> jkmeter -C : Add a stereo correlation meter
>
> so I can run it, but the readme says: "Added options:"
>
> are ther other options?

jkmeter -h

> also: is there a way to calibrate (do I need to calibrate this meter?)

Not the meter. But normally you'd use this meter with a
calibrated monitor gain, at least for mixdown or mastering.
You use pink noise at -20dB RMS (recent versions of jnoise
and japa will provide exactly that level, it indicates 0dB
on the k20 meter and -6 on the k14)) and adjust the volume
for 83 dB(C) from each speaker, then never touch it again.
Some people have reported that this is quite a high level.
You can use a lower one, the important part is to keep the
monitor gain fixed. You will then over time learn to
correlate the meter and what your ears tell you.

> can i have vertical meter?

-V

--
FA