Re: [LAU] standalone midi editor

From: alex stone <compose59@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 17 2009 - 06:59:07 EET

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 7:32 AM, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden
> wrote:

> alex stone wrote:
>
>> From time to time, as the inspiration comes, i find the need for a quick,
>> simple, midi editor.
>> I currently use RG, and it does a fine job, but my question is:
>>
>> Is there, in Linux, a standalone midi editor, which can handle banks,
>> patches, event changes etc... for editing a couple or few bars.
>>
>> I record quite a bit these days, straight from LS into Ardour, but more
>> complicated passages, requiring patch changes, (i.e. Up and down bows, NR
>> and R samples, etc..) and are unplayable live from a keyboard, need to be
>> 'constructed' within a midi editor.
>>
>> As these runs, phrases, etc, are often only a bar or two long, i wonder if
>> a simple standalone midi editor would suffice. (i.e. A standalone matrix
>> editor, with the ability to apply event changes.)
>>
>> I would then record the edited phrase or run, and keep the midi files
>> generated in the Ardour project folder.
>>
>> Is there such a thing?
>>
>> I don't know of a stand alone app for this purpose. However it is
> probably already possible with ardour 3.0 if you want to play with the svn
> version.
>

> Cheers.
>

> --
>
> Patrick Shirkey
> Boost Hardware Ltd

Patrick,

The 3.0 SVN doesn't build/install for me at the moment, but the installation
process, as i understand it, is being worked on.

OK,
here's a short list of suggested features, in case there IS a standalone
midi editor, or a dev is thinking of something along these lines.

Midi keyboard, qwerty, and CC input (for keystrokes as well)
Normal matrix view of a max of 8 bars. (User definable number of bars as
default, but can be increased on the fly)
Event list view, and tabbable on the fly with the matrix view, by keystroke,
as well as mouse. (The RG event list editor is excellent, so these
parameters and layout would be useful)
Single track.
16 midi channels, with a popup note properties dialog (keystrokable), in
which the user can edit by bank/patch/channel.
Able to import, and export mid files.
Jackmidi port in.
Tempo map, ala RG.
Able to save to a directory. (Possible use being saving the mid files in the
Ardour project directory.)
Able to add controller lanes, with bezier curves for finetune volume and
expression.
Quantize for those who want it.
Able to move edit cursor by grid definition.
Keystrokes for moving from note to note (forward and back) for
editing/insertion/removal purposes. Each note becomes active/editable in
turn, with the previous note becoming inactive as it ceases to become the
focus. (Seperate keystrokes/mouse marquee function, for any desire to make
more than one note active at once. Keystroke example being hold shift down
while navigating with left/right arrows, which 'adds' notes to the active
range.)
Default keystrokes up/down for parameter changes, example being velocity. If
CC numbers can be make keystrokable, then the same parameter change up/down
keystrokes could be used for other CC controller definitions as well. Other
examples include, Volume (using a keystroke to define volume as the 'active'
CC control), patch changes (Same keystroke framework. Select the patch
change keystroke, and that becomes 'editable', with up and down keys.)

Etc...

Alex.

--
Parchment Studios (It started as a joke...)