[LAU] sound card "sync/distortion"

From: Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 17 2009 - 10:01:20 EET

Hi

I have a toshiba laptop with a "HDA Intel" sound card and an Edirol USB
ua-1a sound card.

atte@email-addr-hidden:~$ lspci | grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)

Although none of these are pro cards and I don't expect them to be able
to perform well with low latency, I have a problem that I feel should be
resolveable.

If I run jack through qjackctl, clients can often "mess up" jack esp
when loading heavy stuff. This results in the sound becoming distorted
in a metal-like way. A simple restart of jack seems to resolve this.

If I run ChucK with the alsa interface, the problem often is there,
seems to be more often the lager the ChucK project (so the more there is
to load and the heavier the cpu load is).

To me it feels like "something with the soundcard setup", can anyone
recognize the problem from my description and what could I do to remedy
this? I'm hoping for some magic option to put in /etc/modules* or
something like that :-)

NB: I'm running ubuntu 8.04 with 2.6.24-21-rt kernel. Realtime
performance is setup and otherwise working fine.

--
Atte
http://atte.dk    http://modlys.dk