Re: [LAU] Web-based Notation

From: andy baxter <andy@email-addr-hidden-online.co.uk>
Date: Fri Mar 20 2009 - 01:06:04 EET

David Baron wrote:
> On Thursday 19 March 2009 23:13:33 andy baxter wrote:
>
>> David Baron wrote:
>>
>>> Folk seeking notation alternatives my check this out!
>>>
>>> http://www.noteflight.com
>>>
>> Does it have a midi import feature? I am trying to help out a friend who
>> wants to be able to print out music that he has played on the keyboard
>> in notation form, partly as a way of learning notation for himself, and
>> partly as a way of communicating with other musicians who like to see
>> things in this form. (He is a good pianist but mostly self taught and
>> doesn't work in this way normally).
>>
>> I've tried most of the programs available for linux, and none of them
>> really do what he wants. The main problems are that:
>> - he wants the scores in piano stave notation, with two staves, not just
>> on a single stave. This is quite difficult to get working from what I've
>> tried so far.
>> - the stuff he plays is quite dense and poly/multi/non/rhythmical, and
>> programs like lilypond that I've tried seem to get indigestion with it.
>> This might be a problem with rosegarden's lilypond export feature though.
>>
>> Any help with this from you or anyone else on the list would be much
>> appreciated, as I've been trying to find something that works for over a
>> month now with no luck.
>>

> Go there and check it out. It apparently does MusixML and such. I do not know
> its hard print capabilities. I just signed up, have not actually used it as of
> yet.
>
> Lilypond should work but try also mscore--can do the job but a bit unstable,
> nted--upandcoming!, and newer frontend for lilipond if you want to markup for
> that yourself, such as frescobaldi.

OK, I'll check it out.

I've tried various combinations of rosegarden (for recording the midi
file) and other programs, and not yet found one that works:

- mscore came close but didn't do piano staves and was very unstable.
- exporting to lilypond from rosegarden doesn't do piano staves (though
I worked out a hack to make it do so), but also truncated the file after
about 2 pages of score. This may be because the music was too complex
for it to recognise properly?
- noteedit didn't work (can't remember why)
- rosegarden plus nted was the best so far - the first two midi files we
tried worked perfectly on my computer with piano scores and everything,
but then when we tried it on his computer it didn't work (no piano
score). This might be fixable though.
- denemo just hung (for over 10 mins before I killed it) when I tried to
import the midi file.

andy