Re: [LAU] ambisonic and jconv

From: alex stone <compose59@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 21 2009 - 13:55:36 EET

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 09:53:12AM +0300, alex stone wrote:
>
> > Ok, had the head in the amb manual and online reference material, when
> time
> > permitted, and have another question.
> >
> > How do we handle early reflections when using an Ambisonic Jconv
> instance?
> >
> > I'm experimenting with the yorkminster-amb.conf (wonderful clear sound),
> and
> > i don't yet understand how we create, or use, early reflections from the
> > same instance. (If indeed this is required.)
>
> The York config includes the early reflections. Of course they
> are fixed for one source positions. Using the delay, offset and
> lenght paramters you could split it up so you have a separate
> input for the E.R. For example (only W channel shown, the
> rest are similar):
>

> # in out gain delay offset length chan file
> # ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> #
> /impulse/read 1 1 0.100 0 3480 4800 1
> Minster1_000_WXYZ_48k.amb
> /impulse/read 2 1 0.100 4800 8280 0 1
> Minster1_000_WXYZ_48k.amb
>
> The first line selects the first 100 ms (which will contain the E.R.),
> the second line is the reverb tail without the firtst 100 ms.
> If you send the same signal to inputs 1 and 2 the result will
> be the same as before, but now you can set each level separately.
> For a large space such as York Minster there would be discrete
> reflections even well after 100 ms, so you could increase the
> 4800 and 8280 (= 3480 + 4800).
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA
>
> Laboratorio di Acustica ed Elettroacustica
> Parma, Italia
>
> Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.

Fons, thank you very much.

Great explanation, and i'll spend today experimenting not only with the
York.conf, but others too.

One more question. Can this also be applied to standard stereo IR's, for
example, those examples you've generously included with Jconv?

Alex.

--
Parchment Studios (It started as a joke...)